Home » Nearing Midnight » Perilous Times Traitors

Perilous Times Traitors

The Apostle Paul’s “perilous times” prophecy is becoming more manifest by the hour. Perusal of the news at any given point in the news cycle during daily life should make that abundantly clear to spiritually attuned eyes and ears. We are living at the very end of this dispensation known as the Age of Grace or Church Age, if this is the case.

Perhaps a closer look at Paul’s foretelling in 2 Timothy juxtaposed against news unfolding around us presently will establish the point.

As the title of this commentary implies, we will look at a particular term found within that end-times prophecy. That term is “traitor.”

Paul begins the familiar prophecy: “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come” (2 Timothy 3:1).

The apostle is inspired by God the Holy Spirit in this Scriptural verse to forewarn of a special period of time that is yet future. When the Lord forewarns us, the thing of which He forewarned about represents a danger “on steroids,” as we like to verbalize things that are expressed in the vernacular of our day. These times that Paul has been inspired to call “perilous” are well beyond the normal troubles we face during the course of moving throughout life.

When going through these “perilous times” indicators in 2 Timothy 3, we can, in my view, discern the souped-up nature intrinsic within each.

Paul says further: “For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy” (2 Timothy 3:2).

I have written before about the first of these, “lovers of self.”

I still can think of no more profound example of this “perilous times” indicator than of the forum we call Facebook and of the photographic phenomenon of our time called the “selfie.”

Facebook, I realize, is popular–and, no doubt–used ubiquitously by those who read these commentaries. I realize, too, that many, including those in my family, interact within this forum to keep up with friends and to enjoy other communication-type activities. So, I might be on tenuous footing in bringing this up.

However, studies have shown and continue to show that in cases of far too many the forum is a less than beneficial interactive technology. It can create in some instances alternative realities that present psychological dangers. I maintain that, in some narcissistic instances, it can do great spiritual damage. People can become “lovers of their own selves” to the point of pushing God completely out of the picture. Facebook and selfies can become encapsulated, egocentric universes in which some people become their own gods. These, then, become tools the devil truly uses to bring about his purpose–to separate forever men, women, and children from their Creator.

In my opinion, forums such as Facebook and Twitter are presently being used to try to manipulate culture and society. Satan wants life transformed into an existence he considers more conducive to one day serve the new world order he intends to create–the platform upon which to build the coming Antichrist regime. America, of course, is prime testing grounds for this manipulation, and we are seeing this in our news each day. The young–earth’s future populace–are the most vulnerable, the most prone to fall victim to the dangers within these technological communications forums.

Paul’s perilous-times forewarnings thus frame perfectly, I think, the effects on today’s youth–the Millennials and younger. Again, Paul prophesied that people at the end of the age will be: “covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy” (2 Timothy 3:2).

Any honest observation of what is going on in the world of social media will convinced the spiritually attuned observer that there is more there of an evil nature than of a godly nature. Hollywood–the entertainment media–inculcates the youth (and even those not so young) with ungodliness that reaches the souped-up sort of ungodliness of which Paul forewarns.

It is ungodliness with which the evil one–Lucifer the fallen–wants to infuse all of humanity. He is determined to permeate God’s creation called man with thinking and with actions that move us ever farther from the God who loves us so much that He sent His Son to die and resurrect in order to redeem us.

Again, the spiritually attuned observer can discern this insidious work by the devil in our breaking news.

Paul wrote that in the last days, men would be: “traitors” (“having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof”).

The characteristic “traitors” pervades our highest levels of government in America. While the current president is being assaulted with being called a traitor and with every other invective one can imagine, it is, in my observation, those accusing him of these things who are the traitors–traitors to him, personally, traitors to our nation as founded, traitors to the Lord of Heaven with their lies and accusations.

“False accusers” are streaming across our minute-by-minute news feeds. These accusations are particularly virulent within social media, which more and more is letting these vicious falsehoods proceed, while doing all within their power to ban opposing viewpoints. These believe themselves to have the moral high ground–a form of godliness that gives them the right to ban the speech of the ideologically unfit.

The perilous-times characteristics of “traitors” and “phony godliness” are prominent while we pass through our hourly increments of life on earth. They constitute a sure sign that we are approaching the moment when Christ will suddenly intervene in the wicked affairs of this world.

“Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh” (Matthew 24:44).

1. GWA says:

I AGREE! We are living in a society that thinks “if it feels good, do it. After all who am I hurting”? Well, if you know someone who loves The Lord and they watch you, knowing judgement is coming it tears them up inside to know what is coming for mankind…..in a word: JUDGEMENT
    My husband is lost and I tried for a long time always telling him, giving him bible scripture and warnings. A dear sister in Christ said to me “you are NOT, NOT Holy Ghost Jr.”! She was right and I planted seeds but to this day he is still doing what “he wants” to do and we no longer live together because of it. We are expected to choose ……….. it’s way past time to do that. All I can do now is pray for my husband and the lost world because they have no idea what is coming for them.
    (right now it’s all about them right?!)
    I believe the ark is finished and the animals are loading and that door is going to shut soon and then the rains will come. May many have eyes to see and ears to hear. God bless and please let’s continue to plead to a merciful God for salvation for many!

2. Bibleguy317 says:

GWA I will keep you in prayer and pray for your husband. If you want to check out my blog and if you want can I give you some Bible Verses and maybe notes I took on my blog

It seems like every week we are getting stories of some lone wolf gunman opening up on completely unsuspecting and innocent people. I just heard the latest today where it happened at a video game competition where one of the participants shot at others and then killed himself. Bottom line: No place is really safe any more.

And how about bullet-proof backpacks for school kids getting popular? Or, in a recent story on local news, a young girl designed a portable kind of bullet-resistant safety shield which can be assembled quickly in the corner of a class room so the kids can hide behind it if a shooter gets into the building? Who could have imagined even twenty years ago the need for such devices to even be contemplated?

The effects of the spiritual warfare described in Ephesians 6:12 appears to be spilling over more and more into our world, something that will only intensify as the last days unfold.

It is pretty easy to believe that Paul was given a direct view into the Twenty-first Century.

Make one wonder just how bad it’ll get before our “moving day” upward.

4. mary says:

i’m with you Pastor, I personally do not look at any of the facebook of friends and family, I tell my children that it is a waste of time and they should pursue other forms of communication such as actually seeing the person or talking on the phone. (my children are grown).
    I truly believe we are at the end, I so look forward to the Lord coming and taking all his children out of here. I look at the news from conservative views because I want to know what’s going on in the world, but it is tough!
    I just continue to pray for those who do not know our Lord and Savior and oh! what a wonderful Savior he is!!!
    Just think if those who don’t know did! They would, like us want everyone to know the truth. Jesus is the answer to all our problems, if only we could convince them of this. The hatred they spew and the lies make my stomach turn, it’s as though you can just feel it in your gut, if only they knew that those very things they lie about is what is damning their very soul. Jesus calls satan the Father of Lies. He tells the pharicee’s their father is the devil. Those are some pretty harsh words, but they are true words or our Lord would not have said them. Lies are gross, they destroy people! If only we could get them to see it. Most people think that lying and baring false witness are small matters, on the contrary it damns the soul. Pray my brothers and sisters for the healing of the heart of many people. I pray for all of you reading this that our Lord comfort you during this distressing time of trouble in the world.

• Terri Horn says:

I heard a comment by a well known atheist paraplegic and he made the comment that if he believed in heaven and hell that he would crawl on hands and knees in a field of broken glass to get the word out. Wish all Christians thought this way. “Just thinking out loud”. Jesus said in Mathew 23 that the generation who sees Israel return would NOT pass away before Jesus comes back. That happened in 1949! His return is imminent! Come quickly Lord Jesus!

5. I use Facebook and Twitter as a tool to share Jesus and His Word. 😉

• Donna says:

Ernesto, I totally agree with you. I use social media to get the Gospel out. I also share important news (from reputable Christian, conservative sources). Satan is working overtime on social media (as well as other forms of media) to spread his lies and immoral agendas. I believe Christians need to wisely use every tool at our disposal to spread the truth and thwart the enemy. Many people are hungry for the truth and we Christian’s need to help get it to them.
      Also, many people today can only stay connected through social media for various reasons. I believe if you can be connected by getting together and/or phone calls, that is important and you should do that, but also use social media if you cannot.
      Ernesto, my 2nd comment was not in reference to your reply but a previous one.

6. Brother James,

It is true that things are getting horrible, truth has fallen in the streets! But it is good and necessary to remember that the last days began in Apostolic times, that Christians have always since then lived, witnessed, and suffered in perilous times. Still His Coming is certain.

Hebrews 1:1-2

1¶God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,
    2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.