Home » Nearing Midnight » This Drunken Earth

This Drunken Earth

God’s prophetic Word, I’ve always considered, says something profound regarding this wondrous planet. My fascination begins, as I’ve written before, with Jesus’ words upon entering Jerusalem on the little donkey not long before He was crucified.

The people were, you will remember, shouting “Hosanna!” They were welcoming Jesus because they thought He was to be Israel’s Savior—their Messiah, perhaps.

The Judaizers—the Pharisees and others who were His detractors—were trying to make the people stop praising Him. They wanted Him shut down His ministry because they thought He was taking away their power and authority.

They appealed to Jesus to shut the people up, and He replied that if they were to remain silent, the very stones would cry out.

By this, the Lord meant, I have no doubt, that if they didn’t praise Him at that history-shaking moment, the very geophysical creation would erupt in praise of Him.

Then I think of that day on that boat when the storm on Galilee was raging and the disciples awoke Jesus to ask if He didn’t care that they were about to perish in the tempest. Jesus chided them just a bit for their lack of faith (they didn’t yet know that He was fully God as well as fully man). So they were fearful—as you and I would have been.

He put forth His hands and said, “Peace, be still.”

I believe He said it very softly rather than shouting it. The raging wind stopped. The heaving waters became instantly calm. It is said that not even the convulsions had to settle as waters have to do after being so turbulent. That lake became like glass.

So this planet is under the Creator’s hand at all times. Jesus created all that was created, and by Him all things (every element) are held together.

When God’s prophetic Word says something about planet earth that hasn’t yet occurred, we, as believers that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, can be assured it will happen.

Things are being reported today with prophetic overtones. Scientists have climbed aboard the climate-change panic train, of course, and are using their findings to further foist that mantra.

Now, we admit to climate change because the climate is and always has been changing during various eras of recorded history. But climate change because man is responsible for it in the physical meaning is a lie being perpetrated for political/ideological control reasons.

On the other hand, climate change by mankind in the evil-spiritual sense is indeed taking place.

Here’s what I mean.

Mankind doesn’t have the ability to change the climate in the sense of physically affecting it. We are simply too small. God controls it completely. But, like Jesus said, when mankind doesn’t praise Him, the very elements (the physical earth, for example, will “cry out”).

With the world now getting much like it was in antediluvian times—with people denying God at every level, especially the scientists—perhaps the planet is beginning to “cry out.”

The following further validates this possibility:

“For the first time, scientists have identified why Earth wobbles as it spins.

The decrease in Greenland’s ice mass is the main reason for the wobble, NASA says.

Changes in the Earth’s wobble could impact the accuracy of satellite tools like GPS systems, according to NASA.

Climate change is impacting how Earth spins on its axis, NASA says.

Over the past century, Earth’s axis—the imaginary line that passes through the North and South Poles—has drifted about 4 inches, and a decrease in Greenland’s ice mass is the main contributor to the wobble, the space agency has announced.

As temperatures increased throughout the 20th century because of humans, Greenland’s ice mass decreased.

A total of about 7,500 gigatons—the weight of more than 20 million Empire State Buildings—of Greenland’s ice melted into the ocean during this time period.” (“Climate Change Is Causing Earth to Wobble on Its Axis, NASA Says,” By Pam Wright, weather.com)

Jesus’ pronouncement, as said at the beginning of this article, is the first of the fascinating things about the reactions involving this planet on which God has chosen for us to live. It gets much more interesting even in the prophetic sense. The prophecy I have in mind relates significantly, I think, to the article above.

God, through the prophet Isaiah, says the following about a future time:

“The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again” (Isaiah 24:20).

Today, the ideological mindset of the reprobate mind (Romans 1:28) is that man is physically destroying Mother Earth with reckless fossil fuel carbon emissions, etc. But, God says mankind is making the world corrupt through anti-God activity. Here is the entire body of that Isaiah passage telling why the earth will eventually stagger like a drunkard.

“From the uttermost part of the earth have we heard songs, even glory to the righteous. But I said, My leanness, my leanness, woe unto me! the treacherous dealers have dealt treacherously; yea, the treacherous dealers have dealt very treacherously. Fear, and the pit, and the snare, are upon thee, O inhabitant of the earth. And it shall come to pass, that he who fleeth from the noise of the fear shall fall into the pit; and he that cometh up out of the midst of the pit shall be taken in the snare: for the windows from on high are open, and the foundations of the earth do shake. The earth is utterly broken down, the earth is clean dissolved, the earth is moved exceedingly. The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again. And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth” (Isaiah 24:16–21)

It is the sins and rebellion of mankind that will make the planet itself drunk on the rebels’ corruption –much like in the days of Noah. For this, God will make those evil ones drink from the cup of His wrath (Revelation 14: 10).

You don’t want to be part of that drunken time when even the earth staggers and falls, and is unable to recover its equilibrium. Here is how to escape that fate and instead be with the Lord in the wonders of Heaven.

“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation” (Romans 10:9–10).

1. A Clark says:

The reeling of the earth in that Isaiah passage seems due to a supernatural affect with the windows of heaven opened but it’s certainly reeling under the effects of wickedness even now. But there did seem to be real effects in the natural caused by the growth of evil and darkness. Romans 8 says that all of creation groans and suffers because of the bondage of corruption.

Incidentally, the SMB of the Greenland ice sheet is cyclical both daily and seasonal. This year’s accumulated SMB is within the normal range of variation and presently above the multi decade average. So the premise of the article is a deception. Greenland’s ice sheet is just fine.

Okay, I’m sure some, perhaps many, of you will get very annoyed with me today. You see, I’m one of those who think climate change is a “real deal.” What I do hope is that anyone considering chastising me will do me the courtesy reading what follows with an open mind.

First of all, it is true that natural climate change has always been part of earth’s history. The evidence is clear that our world has swung back and forth from cold to warm periods.

Second – I do NOT, repeat, DO NOT, think that human activity can be blamed for all the changes we are seeing. Even so, such activities as our deforestation of the land and adding to the CO2 content of the atmosphere by our prodigious burning of fossil fuels for a couple of centuries cannot be ruled out as not at least being contributors toward it.

Third – concerning the Earth’s wobble – absolutely correct. It’s called precession of the equinoxes and occurs on a 26,000 year cycle (I’m sure I’ve also just irritated those who ascribe to the 6000-year old universe). It certainly is believed to play a significant role in our world’s warm and cool spells, but its effect is gradual, unlikely to make itself apparent over a mere span of decades or even centuries.

Fourth – Jesus, WITHOUT QUESTION, does have the ultimate control over our universe, including our tiny little planet. That means he can fix our climate as easily as calming the storm in the Sea of Galilee, no matter what we do. But will he? Based on what I read in Revelation, I think not. Matter of fact, I believe he’ll instead use extreme meteorological and seismic disturbances as part of the judgment which is coming to an unrepentant populace after the Rapture.

Finally – I think all this concern about what may happen climatologically decades from now is moot, because I don’t see how things on all levels can continue to go on as badly as they are very much longer.

Maybe the best way to conclude this comment is say something we can all agree upon that is the most important thing of all: JESUS IS COMING SOON!

Of this, I have no doubt at all!

• Glenn B. says:

I disagree with you Brother Wood in the spirit of fellowship sir. I think Brother James is spot on in this Op-Ed. God has total control of the environment. I believe we are having this crazy weather cycle as there has been in past for thousands of years as God’s wrath. Could I be wrong? ABSOLUTELY. I am not infallible to say the least. IMHO. (Job 37:5)  God thundereth marvellously with his voice; great things doeth he, which we cannot comprehend.
      (Job 37:6)  For he saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth; likewise to the small rain, and to the great rain of his strength.
      (Job 37:7)  He sealeth up the hand of every man; that all men may know his work.
      (Job 37:8)  Then the beasts go into dens, and remain in their places.
      (Job 37:9)  Out of the south cometh the whirlwind: and cold out of the north.
      (Job 37:10)  By the breath of God frost is given: and the breadth of the waters is straitened.
      (Job 37:11)  Also by watering he wearieth the thick cloud: he scattereth his bright cloud:
      (Job 37:12)  And it is turned round about by his counsels: that they may do whatsoever he commandeth them upon the face of the world in the earth.
      (Job 37:13)  He causeth it to come, whether for CORRECTION, or for his LAND, or for MERCY. Rightly or in error, I think it is clear God controls the climate.

• Ed Wood says:

I appreciate your gracious words, Glenn B. and I actually agree with you on your basic premise.

A prime example is the current escalation of seismic activity, e.g. earthquakes and volcanoes around the world. That dramatic increase certainly can’t be explained by any human activity.

Yet I do think God also is letting us receive the consequences of our own actions as well on just about every level, nature included. God set up all the physical laws which run our universe, and that includes Earth which is part of it. If we try to go against these laws, there are consequences.

For example, an automobile won’t last long if we never perform the normal maintenance that the designers spelled out.

If we burn away large sections of rain forest, we can change rainfall patterns. If we strip mine a place recklessly we can poison the water table of nearby towns.

My basic idea is that our physical actions on Earth are certainly not causing all of the extremes we are seeing regarding our weather, probably not even most of it, but I think we are contributors.

Again, Glenn, thank you for your thoughts, and you made valid points which I so agree with.

And, trust me, infallibility is definitely NOT one of my virtues, either.

There was only one man down here 2000 years ago who was!

God bless.
        Ed

3. Did anyone else see that the earth’s rotation was a few seconds SHORTER?? I was stunned when I read it because of the very verse that you quoted about Jesus saying that if His followers didn’t praise him, the rocks (the earth itself) would declare His glory. His coming for the second advent is what is making all the earth and the galaxies coming to attention. It must be soon, with all the signs in the sun, moon, stars, the earth itself, the planets, they KNOW that their Maker is coming! I see it like the animals sense when a storm is approaching, they act differently and seem to have a second sense. It is so awesome to be living in this time period. I pray that all my brothers and sisters in Christ are as excited as we should be, to be chosen for ‘such a time as this’.

• Ed Wood says:

Hi, Dawn.

Your observations are spot-on.

Paul told us all creation “groaneth” (Romans 8:20-22) and this effect is certainly increasing. I think many of us, too, have the sense of “something in the air.” There is just a feeling that “something” is just over the horizon and approaching fast.

I think it could be the Rapture itself!

4. Peggy Tippitt says:

Poor humanity – it makes me sad to know their fate.